If you are a hands-on landlord and want to screen your own tenants, what are the top 6 concerns for tenant screening if you are in charge of your own Rental Property Management.
1. Tenant Screening : Make sure the company you are choosing offers extensive background checks include Dept of Motor Vehicles, Criminal and Employment checks.
2. Business References : You should Yelp and other reference about the company you are choosing and how they have preformed for other clients in the past.
3. Licensed and Trained Staff: Property Management is a licensed activity in most States and there are federal laws that prevent discrimination based on Sex, Race, National Origin, Sexual Orientation, Family Status, Martial Status and Disability. HUD’s Fair Housing Website has some good information on what constitutes discrimination and untrained Property Management staff can get you into serious trouble with the law.
4. Available 7 days per week/24 hour Call Center : Depending on the size of your property, this could be critical since if you want to make certain that each property manager in the company you are hiring is not responsible for more than 10-15 units and they able to handle maintenance calls 24 hours a day.
5. Eviction filings: Finally, another critical service that a property management company should offer is Evictions in case you tenants are not making timely payments. For a complete list of Property Management Services we offers, visit Homestretch Properties site.